A Community Conversation:
Supporting the Mental Health of our Youth
Impact on Education, in collaboration with UnitedHealthcare, Comcast, Centura, The Colorado Health Foundation, and Boulder Valley School District, invites our community to a free mental health event.
Date: Wednesday, April 12
Time: 6:00 – 8:00 PM (please plan to arrive by 5:45pm)
Location: Manhattan Middle School, 290 Manhattan Dr, Boulder
The event will gather clinicians, BVSD educators and administrators, community health professionals and people with lived experiences, for a community conversation. Panelists will discuss the current mental health risks facing our youth; techniques for communicating with your children about their mental health needs; school, community and health care resources available to parents, and more. Details below.
- Dr. Rob Anderson | Superintendent, BVSD
Panel 1 – Challenges Facing our Youth
This discussion will focus on the current state of mental health in our community. Topics we anticipate discussing include:
- Local and state trends
- Risks and influencing factors
- Signs and symptoms
- The need for open communication between parents/adults and youth
- How to discuss mental health with kids
- Best practices in school and at home
- Marc Neely | CEO, UnitedHealthcare of Colorado
- Chris Uhlig | Suicide Survivor, BVSD Parent
- Dr. Kimberly Nordstrom |Emergency Psychiatrist and Chief Medical Officer, Rocky Mountain Health Plans
- Dr. Alana Morales | Principal, Boulder High School
- Maya C. | BVSD Alum
- Paul Heskin, MBA | Chief Nursing Officer of Avista Hospital
- Chad Hatfield, MHA | CEO of Longmont Hospital
Panel 2 – Resources and Support
This discussion will focus on the resources available to parents and how our community can support the mental health of youth. Topics we anticipate discussing include:
- Clinical intervention and treatment possibilities
- School and community support available to parents
- The value of peer support
- Building resiliency
- Creating acceptance without judgment among adults
- Patrick Gordon | CEO, Rocky Mountain Health Plans
- Darci Harvey | Director of Integrated Behavioral Health, Centura
- Anna Kim | NAMI Boulder
- Jenna Clinchard | Executive Director, Rise Against Suicide
- Greg McDonald | Wellness Center Counselor, Monarch High School
- Jordan Goto, MPH | Health and Wellness Coordinator, BVSD
- Allison Billings | Executive Director, Impact on Education
- Questions may be submitted ahead of time on the registration page. There will not be live Q&A during the event.
- This event will be recorded for use as an online resource for others. Please read the media release on the registration page. By registering to attend, you are agreeing to potentially appear in the edited informational and education program.
- Interpretation and childcare will be provided. Please indicate your needs on the registration page.
- Trained mental health professionals will be available onsite.