The Impact Awards honor individuals in the Boulder Valley School District (BVSD) making an extraordinary impact on student learning. Every year, each of the 56 schools in BVSD chooses an impactful person in their school community demonstrating exceptional collaboration, innovation, and dedication to our students.
A school community does not only include those who work in the building! Schools may nominate anyone creating a positive impact on the work and people inside their building, including classroom teachers, specialists, administrators, classified employees, or volunteers.
What do we mean by impactful?
Impactful individuals show an ongoing commitment to professional and personal growth and have powerful, often life-changing, effects on students and/or the rest of the education community through unfaltering and purposeful effort.
How individuals are selected
- Schools solicit Impact Award nominations from their educators and staff
- A small committee from the school reviews the nominations (we recommend the school’s Principal, a parent, and a teacher or past Impact Award winner be included)
- The school committee notifies Impact on Education of their selected Impact Award recipient
Questions we ask each school to consider:
- How does your nominee work collaboratively with others in your school community? What level of partnership does this individual inspire within your school community?
- In what ways does your nominee create, inspire, or encourage innovative learning opportunities within your school community?
- How does your nominee display a talent for supporting youth within your school community?
Celebrating the awardees
This year, we’re relying on schools to host a celebration for their awardee in March 2022. We are here to help with resources and ideas, should you need any, and encourage you to collaborate with your school PTO/PTA. We will provide the Impact Award poster and plaque to all schools by March 1st so you can plan your celebration anytime that month.
We are planning to honor all 2021-22 Impact Award winners at a community-wide celebration in the spring of 2022.
Blake Peterson Lifetime Achievement Award
Named after one of our most fervent supporters, Blake Peterson, this award recognizes an individual whose own passion for education and learning mirrors that of the award’s namesake.
Community members may nominate any current BVSD employee, starting in December.
Imogene “Jean” Maxon Early Teacher Award
The Imogene “Jean” Maxon Early Teacher Award is awarded to a BVSD teacher with up to three years of classroom experience who demonstrates the drive, stamina, and vision of a career educator. Given the attrition of beginning educators, this award is inspired and supported by Jean Maxon, a lifetime teacher whose own legacy extends beyond the BVSD classroom. Imogene believed in inspiring and supporting teachers and teacher education. This award is designed to provide encouragement and added motivation for classroom teaching and to remind all educators that they are valued and appreciated in our community.
Nominations for this award are submitted by BVSD principals and staff.